The summer sun is out, and if you’re like most, your feet and ankles are too! No longer hidden away under boots and shoes, our toes and lower limbs can now bask in the summer sun. But with the sun comes higher temperatures, and with the heat often comes swelling of our feet and ankles. In today’s post, Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, is sharing his top 7 tips for relieving swollen summer feet.
- Avoid excessive heat. Sit in well-ventilated rooms or in the shade whenever possible. Don’t take excessively hot baths/showers and saunas as these can worsen the swelling.
- Drink plenty of water. Consuming too much salt also contributes to swelling, so by drinking plenty of water, you can decrease the amount of salt in your body.
- Watch what you eat. Some foods act as natural diuretics and can reduce fluid retention. These foods include green beans, asparagus, pumpkin, onion, pineapple, lemons, and leafy greens such as lettuce and spinach.
- Raise your feet. When it comes to swelling, gravity isn’t your friend. So, you need to reverse its effect on your limbs by raising your feet to a level higher than your heart whenever possible.
- Exercise smartly. Moderate exercise such as walking, and swimming improves your circulation and gets the fluid flowing again. Try to exercise at cooler times of the day, such as the morning or early evening.
- Support your ankles, legs, and feet. Support tights or compression socks can prevent swelling by providing just the right amount of pressure. Wearing them will improve blood circulation and prevent the fluids from collecting.
- Get up and move. One way you can do this is to take regular walking breaks when being inactive for extended periods. Walking will relieve discomfort and get the blood flowing and moving upwards again.
There are several other ways you can alleviate swelling such as soaking your feet in cool water with Epsom salts, wrapping your ankles and feet in damp towels, and applying ice packs to the swollen areas.
If your feet tend to swell in warmer summer months, contact Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, today to make an appointment. You can schedule an appointment online or by calling us at 425-455-0936.