It’s official - pumpkin EVERYTHING season is coming! Many of us enjoy pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes, and all things pumpkin during the autumn season. But did you know that pumpkin has some surprising benefits for your foot health?
1. Smooths the skin on your feet. If you’re tired of calluses, corns, and other unattractive patches of dead skin on your feet, eat more pumpkin. It’s packed with vitamins A, B, E, and K, which help plump and hydrate the skin. Even better, it can help slow down the signs of aging skin.
2. Makes your feet sturdier. Pumpkins contain lots of Vitamin A, which supports healthy vision and also helps form and maintain bones. When you consider that 25% of the bones in your body are in your feet, this fall favorite can go a long way in boosting your overall foot health.
3. Softens dry skin. This orange superfood is chock full of natural enzymes that help dissolve dry, cracked skin and stimulate cell regeneration. There are pumpkin foot scrubs that can quickly transform dry feet and leave them feeling baby soft.
4. Rejuvenates toenail health. Unhealthful, fragile nails are associated with a biotin deficiency, which is repaired by eating pumpkin seeds. The seeds have a high quantity of zinc, which regulates the body’s capacity to produce new proteins that help form strong, healthy nails.
5. Stops body degeneration. Keeping our feet healthy is always important, but it becomes even more important as people get older. Foot issues that arise with aging slow us down and contribute to accidental trips and falls. Pumpkins are high in beta-carotene, which delays the aging process and body degeneration that often affects the feet first.
6. Relieve Irritated, Swollen Feet. If your feet hurt after long days at work, try eating pumpkin seeds. Their zinc content aids in controlling inflammation and contain anti-bacterial properties that help soothe irritation.
7. Helps Fight Your Foot Health’s Worst Nightmare: Diabetes. Eating pumpkins has been shown to decrease blood glucose levels. In turn, this boosts the body’s glucose tolerance and elevates the body’s insulin levels.
If you’re currently having any issues with your feet, contact Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, to schedule a consultation. You can schedule an appointment online or by calling us at