While it still feels like summer, those yellow school buses will again be ready to roll to signify the start of another school year. So, it’s time to store away the summer footwear and get ready for back-to-school shoe shopping! In today’s post, Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, shares his top 9 tips to make shoe shopping easier.
Here are some tips to make the process easier:
- Shop for shoes later in the day when their feet are at their largest.
- Because children’s feet grow so quickly, measuring both feet each time you shop is important. Check arch position, width, and length, and choose the larger foot size.
- Bring a pair of your child’s socks when trying on shoes. You should also pick up some comfortable, high-quality, and durable new socks when shopping for shoes.
- Educate your child to pick sturdy shoes with closed toes and make it seem like it's their idea!
- Make sure the flexibility in the toe is firm and not too flexible.
- The heel should be sturdy and not collapse when pressing down on both sides of the heel.
- Make sure that the shoe doesn’t twist in the middle.
- Choose styles with laces or Velcro fasteners to ensure the shoe stays firmly on the foot.
- Have your child walk around the store to ensure they feel comfortable and the heel doesn’t slip up and down.
The beginning of a new school year is a great time to schedule a visit to bring your child in for a foot evaluation. We will discuss your worries, examine your child’s gait, diagnose any problems, and put together a treatment plan.
Don’t hesitate – if you think you or your child has a foot issue - you can trust Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA. You can schedule an appointment online or by calling us at 425-455-0936.