Did you know that if you are an average walker (you log about 7,500 steps per day), you will have traveled around the middle of the Earth about five times throughout your life? That’s a lot of wear and tear on your feet! And the 52 bones in your feet account for a quarter of all the bones in your entire body, so there’s no doubt that proper foot health is of the utmost importance. So because April is National Foot Health Awareness Month, today Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA is sharing 6 expert tips to keep your feet fit.
6 recommended foot and ankle care tips:
1. Activities: Wear supportive shoes and increase your activity levels gradually to prevent overuse injuries such as Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. The good news is that if you are suffering with pain from plantar fasciitis, 95% of the time the pain can be relieved without the need for surgery.
2. Toenail Changes: If your nail color changes or thickens, you may be dealing with nail fungus. Heredity, diabetes, and toenail trauma can cause nail fungus to develop. Our treatment options will treat the fungus and possibly even eradicate it.
3. Specialty Shoes: Be sure you’re wearing the correct shoes for your feet. We recommend selecting shoes for walking or running at a specialty store so a specialist can help you select the right shoes for you.
4. Skin Care: When outdoors, be sure not to neglect your feet when applying sunscreen. Take special care to apply it between your toes and on your ankles to decrease the possibility of skin cancer.
5. Diabetic Foot Care: If you are diabetic, you know that proper foot health is particularly important. If you have diabetes, you should be visiting your podiatrist annually.
6. Properly Fitting Footwear: Keep the heel height on your shoes below 2”, and make sure there is enough room in your shoes, so your toes aren’t rubbing or squeezing. If needed, use custom orthotics for support.
Join us in celebrating National Foot Health Awareness Month by evaluating your feet for any pain or changes. If you are experiencing any problems with your ankles or feet, contact Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA. You can schedule an appointment online or by calling us at 425-455-0936.