Whether you're a seasoned athlete or an occasional competitor, sports can be a great way to stay active. However, doing so might put you at an increased risk of injury, especially when it comes to your feet.
Fortunately, CarePlus Foot and Ankle Specialists won’t let that slow you down! We hope that this blog on common athletic injuries helps you take steps towards an energetic, healthy lifestyle. Below, we’ll cover some of the most common injuries we treat, their characteristics, and methods for managing them.
1. Ankle Sprains:
- Ankle sprains are one of the most common sports injuries, occurring when ligaments that connect your ankle bones are stretched or torn.
- They are usually caused by rolling your ankle inward or outward.
- Symptoms include pain, swelling, bruising, and difficulty walking.
- Over-the-counter pain medication can help reduce inflammation.
- In some cases, a cast or brace may be needed to immobilize the ankle for healing.
- Once the pain and swelling have subsided, physical therapy can strengthen the muscles around the ankle, preventing future injuries.
2. Achilles Tendinitis:
- An inflammation of the Achilles tendon, which connects the calf muscle to the heel bone.
- It is commonly caused by overuse, such as running or jumping on hard surfaces.
- Symptoms include pain, stiffness, and swelling in the back of the heel.
- Stretching the Achilles tendon and calf muscles can help improve flexibility and range of motion.
- Rest, ice, compression, and elevation help with inflammation, as they do for most sports injuries.
3. Plantar Fasciitis:
- Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammation of the plantar fascia, a thick band of tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot from heel to toe.
- It’s commonly caused by overuse, such as running or jumping on hard surfaces.
- Symptoms include pain in the heel, especially in the morning or after long periods of inactivity.
- Wearing shoes with good arch support can help reduce stress on the plantar fascia.
- Custom orthotics can help redistribute pressure and bolster the arch of the foot.
- Advanced methods like AF injections can be extremely effective.
Are common sports injuries slowing you down? Contact Dr. Hubert Lee and his team at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA! You can schedule an appointment online or by calling us at 425-455-0936.