Do you find our website to be helpful?
Yes   No

What are diabetic shoes?

There are over 29 million adults in the United States with diabetes.  People with diabetes have an increased risk of foot ulcers, and diabetes is the leading cause of nontraumatic lower-limb amputations.

Proper shoes are important parts of managing diabetes.  Deformities such as hammertoes and bunions can cause pressure points that rub against the insides of shoes.  Wearing improperly fitting shoes can lead to calluses and ulcers.

The Medicare Therapeutic Shoe Bill was started with the goal of reducing diabetic foot ulcers and preventing lower limb amputations in high-risk patients.  It makes extra-depth shoes and inserts available to patients with diabetic complications.

What are diabetic shoes?

Diabetic shoes decrease the risk of diabetic foot ulcers and thereby reduce amputations.  They provide support and protection while minimizing pressure points on the feet.  They also have extra depth to accommodate diabetic inserts.  There are many styles to choose from, and the shoes look much like any other shoe.

Who is eligible for the Medicare diabetic shoe program?
You must have diabetes

and

You must have one or more of the following diabetic foot problems:

History of partial or complete foot amputation
History of previous foot ulceration
History of pre-ulcerative callus
Peripheral neuropathy with evidence of callus formation
Foot deformity
Poor circulation
What does Medicare cover?
If eligible, Medicare (and most private insurances) will provide one pair of extra-depth shoes and three pairs of inserts each calendar year.

Medicare Part B covers 80% of the approved cost of the shoes and shoe inserts. Many secondary insurances cover the remaining 20%.

Call to schedule an appointment
If you have diabetes or have questions about the Medicare diabetic shoe program, schedule an appointment by calling (425) 455-0936.  You may also schedule an appointment online.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Can HPV Cause Warts on Your Child’s Foot?

If you’ve observed small, new growths on the sole of your child’s foot, you don’t have to panic. Your child has probably been exposed to HPV, which is a virus that can infect the skin and develop into plantar warts.

Our Top 5 Autumn Foot Care Tips

Autumn, which kicks off the official start of boot season, is right around the corner. The weather will be changing soon, so it’s the perfect time to put some steps in place to keep your feet feeling and looking their best through the season.