With summer right around the corner, our feet will be needing a little extra love and care to stay healthy. Today Dr. Hubert Lee, of CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, is sharing his top 5 tips for keeping your feet happy and healthy this summer.
- Take care of cracked heels. Unsupportive and backless shoes can put more stress on the heel. This, and not wearing socks, can make heels crack. Surface cracks should be nurtured daily with an exfoliating and moisturizing treatment. Use pumice stone while in the shower a couple of times a week to help smooth the heels.
- Get rid of sweaty smelly feet. With the warmer weather, smelly feet can be hard to avoid. Don’t wear pantyhose, but do wear socks made of cotton and synthetic blend to wick away moisture. Change socks daily and keep your feet dry, especially between the toes.
- Protect your feet against blisters. Strappy sandals can pinch and cause blisters. Keep products on hand such as band-aids, blister sticks, or moleskin. Anti-chafing lubricants and gel pads also work well.
- Treat your feet to a foot soak. Soak your feet in cool-to-lukewarm water with added Epsom salts and/or peppermint oil. The cooler water will decrease swelling and refresh your weary feet. At the end of the day, remember to elevate your feet and legs occasionally.
- Perform a safe at-home pedicure. If you want to try a pedicure at home (or if you want to purchase your own tools), you can usually find a basic kit at your local drug store. It should include foam separators for toes, files, emery boards, and orange sticks, as well as soaps, soaks, and lotions. You can use a file or a pumice stone to remove calluses gently.
If you want more tips for maintaining your feet this summer, or you’re due for a checkup, contact Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, today at (425) 455-0936 to discuss what’s happening.