With the autumn sports season in full effect, many athletes fear an ankle injury that can put them on the sidelines for several weeks. And if you are an active person, an ankle sprain can be overwhelming. Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, specializes in the treatment of ankle sprains. He will do everything he can to get your ankle back to full function so you can continue playing sports this fall uninterrupted.
What Causes an Ankle Sprain?
When tissues and ligaments that support the ankle become excessively torn or stretched, it creates an ankle sprain. It can occur when you twist your ankle while walking or running or if you land on your foot the wrong way. If you are an athlete, your feet and ankles experience significant stress as you move. Some of the symptoms of an ankle sprain include:
- Difficulty bearing weight on the ankle
When you visit our office, our team will evaluate the seriousness of your injury to define the best treatment option to get you back on your feet.
Preventing Ankle Sprains This Fall
As an athlete, you probably look forward to the autumn to get back to playing the sports you love. And with all the training you’ve put in, the last thing you want to deal with is an ankle sprain.
Here are some helpful ways you can avoid an ankle sprain this fall:
- Improve Ankle Flexibility and Strength: Stretching and exercising your ankles and feet helps improve and maintain balance, flexibility, and strength.
- Proper Warm-Up: Perform active movements before beginning any athletic activity to warm up your muscles.
- Don’t Push Through Pain: If you feel soreness and pain in your ankle, seek treatment from our podiatrists. If you try to push through ankle pain, your condition can worsen and your recovery prolonged.
- Choose the proper footwear: Wear properly fitted shoes that are specific to your sport and provide support. We can help you choose the best shoes for your favorite activity.
By following these tips, you can be sure that you’re putting – and keeping - your best foot forward this autumn. Dr. Hubert Lee of CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, is here to help you stay healthy and on your feet during every season.