New Year’s Day begins with a clean slate and a fresh start. If you’re like most people, January 1st also brings resolutions for changes you hope to make in the coming year. In today’s post, Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, shares 5 New Year’s resolutions for healthy feet in 2023.
While the more common resolutions include losing weight, kicking that bad habit, or exercising are great, you can’t forget about your feet! This particularly applies to women because they are at a higher risk for ankle and foot issues. Things like wearing narrow shoes or high heels, muscle strength, hormones, the width of the foot, and pregnancy increase the probability of injuries such as bunions, hammertoes, ankle sprains, and neuromas.
While both women and men can experience ankle or foot pain, it’s important to get appropriate care in a timely manner to allow your podiatrist to utilize conservative treatments to reduce not only the pain but the underlying medical condition as well.
Here are 5 New Year’s resolution ideas to help you reach your healthy foot goals in 2023.
- Coordinate your shoes with the activities. Select the proper footwear for each activity you’re participating in this year. Reduce how often you wear high heels and toss those old, worn athletic shoes or sneakers that don’t provide sufficient support.
- Give your toenails some TLC. If you experience toenail fungus, now is a great time to prep your toenails for the warmer months. There are numerous different treatment options to keep your feet looking their best.
- Slowly ease into your workouts. It’s important not to overdo your fitness routine. If you build your routine gradually, you will prevent overuse injuries such as plantar fasciitis and shin splints.
- Provide your feet with adequate support. Just as it’s essential to coordinate your shoes with your activity, it’s important that you match them to your feet. Next time you go shoe shopping, go to a trustworthy store with trained staff to help you choose the shoe that’s best for your feet. Also, custom orthotics are a great way to supplement any shoe to fit your foot perfectly.
- Spend 2023 pain-free. You don’t have to suffer from daily foot pain! We’re prepared to diagnose and treat your pain to put the spring back in your step. If you are suffering from hammertoes, heel pain, bunions, or anything else, bunions, contact Dr. Hubert Leeand his team at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialistsin Bellevue, WA. You can schedule an appointment online or by calling us at 425-455-0936.