The 50+ bones in your feet make up a quarter of all of the bones in your body. So it’s no surprise that foot health is of the greatest importance. It’s so important that April has been designated National Foot Health Awareness Month. Almost every action you take involves your feet, so keeping them healthy, pain-free, and active is our number one goal.
Today Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, is sharing his top 6 foot and ankle health care tips:
- Be sure to wear the correct shoes for your activity. We suggest buying shoes for walking or running at a specialty store. These are extremely specialized shoes, and you’ll want the help of a specialist to select the shoes that are right for you.
- Foot health is crucial if you are diabetic. If you are diabetic, you must take extra special care of your feet and visit your podiatrist regularly.
- Wear supportive shoes. Slowly increase your activity levels to prevent overuse injuries such as Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis and make sure you wear shoes that provide adequate support. If you are experiencing pain from plantar fasciitis, the good news is that 95% of the time the pain can be resolved without the need for surgery.
- Use sunscreen. Remember to put sunscreen on your feet and be sure to apply it to your ankles and in between your toes to decrease the risk of skin cancer.
- Watch your heel height. Try to keep your heel height below 2” and ensure that there is plenty of room in your shoes without squeezing your toes or rubbing. Consider getting custom orthotics for support.
- Watch for changes in your toenails. If you notice thickening or color changes in your toenails, you may have nail fungus. Heredity, diabetes, and toenail trauma can cause toenail fungus. We have several options for treating and even eliminating fungus.
You can observe National Foot Health Awareness Month by evaluating your feet for any pain or changes. It’s our mission to help everyone find the best path to solving their ankle and foot problems.
If you’re experiencing any problems with your ankles or feet, please contact the office of Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA today at (425) 455-0936 to schedule your next appointment.