When shopping for footwear, have your feet measured. January 23rd is National Measure Your Feet Day. Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA, provides helpful information regarding the importance of measuring your feet when shopping for new shoes.
- Studies reveal that it is easier to verify your proper shoe size if you stand during the measurement process. Doing so helps determine a correct assessment because feet are at their largest size when standing. Generally, one foot is different from the other, so better to try on both shoes.
- Keep in mind that your toes need adequate room to move about to prevent certain foot conditions from developing.
- It's also helpful to be aware of the type of arch you have. Buying shoes with proper arch support contributes to the general well-being of your feet. For people with flat feet, a shoe with a straight instep may be helpful in maintaining stability while running or walking. Shoes with a moderately curved instep can provide flexibility for people who have normal foot arches.
Finding proper fitting footwear prevents foot problems and reduces injuries.
4 Factors in Properly Fitted Footwear
Wearing shoes that fit can help you avoid foot injuries. Here are four factors to consider when shopping for footwear:
- Make sure the ball of your foot feels comfortable at the widest part of the shoe.
- Be sure the shoes fit correctly right when you put them on.
- Walk on a carpeted surface to make sure the shoes are comfortable during regular activities.
- Shoes should support the overall structure of your foot.
Even though shoes may look stylish, those that don’t fit properly can create problems or worsen existing ones. Do yourself and your foot health a favor today by investing in some well-fitted shoes.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the office of Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists in Bellevue, WA today at (806) 322-3338 to schedule a consultation.